November 7, 201710 Questions with ... Rob Cressman
1) What was your first job in radio and who were your early influences and mentors?
I was an intern in the News Department at full-service WFVA-A/F in my hometown of Fredericksburg, VA. That internship created a path to my first full-time position (hosting middays) with WFVA/WBQB. Vince Genson, Fred Jacobs, Woody Bartlett, Greg Mull and Dave Beasing are among those who, early in my career, offered solid direction and inspiration.
2) Before we talk about WDRV (The Drive), you have quite a strong programming background. Give us some of the stations and highlights from your career prior to joining The Drive.
- Middays - WFVA-WBQB/Fredericksburg, VA;
- PD/OM - WJMA-WJMZ/Orange, VA
- PD/OM - WAVF/Charleston, SC
- PD/OM - WMFS/Memphis, TN
- PD/OM - WAQY-WLZX/Springfield, MA
- SVP/Programming - WFBQ-WOLT-WNDE-WUBG/Indianapolis
- PD - WDRV/Chicago
3) This January will mark two years since you took over the programming reins for The Drive and I understand the station is performing quite well in the market. Can you give us the latest ratings report card?
I am fortunate to work with such a talented group here in Chicago. Over the past 22 months, The Drive has emerged as one of the most-listened-to radio stations in Chicago among 25-54-year-old adults and a clear favorite among men. Nielsen Highlights for Summer, 2017, include the following Chicago market rank positions (Mon-Sun, 6a-Midnight) for WDRV:
October 31, 201710 Questions with ... Dayna Steele
October 24, 201710 Questions with ... Valorie Knight
October 17, 201710 Questions with ... Mud
October 10, 201710 Questions with ... Michael Cross
October 3, 201710 Questions with ... Rachel McGrath
September 26, 201710 Questions with ... Stacy 'Carolina' Gantt
September 19, 201710 Questions with ... Nothing More
September 12, 201710 Questions with ... Jim Kerr & Shelli Sonstein
September 5, 201710 Questions with ... Beth Simmons